Rings on Their Fingers and Bells on Their Toes

"More blue," said Oldest Girl Child, and her serious tone amused me so much that I poked my head around the corner to spy on her and Youngest Girl Child. They were busily coloring their finger and toenails with crayons, a new hobby as of last night.

Evidently OGC came across this idea at school and was delighted to show me, last night, all the pretty colors she could make her fingernails be. "And it doesn't wash off! You have to scratch it off!" she told me.

Today, both the girls have parti-colored nails, and every so often will scratch the color off one and recolor it to something new.

I rarely wear make-up, rarely wear jewelry, never wear nail polish, have two pairs of shoes (black pumps for dressing up and pink sneakers for dressing down), two skirts and one dress that I alternate wearing to church, several pairs of jeans, several niceish shirts that I wear with either jeans or skirts, and a hairstyle that I can pretty much ignore.

OGC wore a dress or skirt to school 8 out of the last 10 school days (I make her wear jeans on Wednesdays, which is gym day.) YGC would rather stay inside all day than have to take her dress-up costume off to put on jeans to go play outside. They color their nails, beg me to let them have play makeup*, and would live in princess costumes if I let them.

I always thought I was fairly girly, but my daughters have disabused me of this notion. Once again I am left with only the thought, "They look too much like us to have been switched at the hospital."
___________________________________________

*Play make-up, by my standards, is stuff that looks like make-up but is plastic and has no ability to actually color a little girl's face. If it actually leaves a mark on skin, it is not "play" anymore, it is real make-up. I refuse to buy that kind of play make-up, no matter how hard they beg.

0 comments: