Sorry. He's under contract.

Oldest Girl Child informs me that The Little Girl Across The Street wishes she was in possession of the Daddy that we have over here.

While it is a nice, smug feeling to know that you have what everyone else wishes they had, it was a little startling to hear, since as far as I know TLGATS has had very little interaction with the father of my children. In fact, I can't think of any interaction they've had beyond him opening the door to her a few times when she has come to ask if the girls can play.

Of course, as soon as I pressed OGC for further details of the conversation she turned skittish. In my surprise, I had failed to maintain the requisite air of casual disinterest that works best to pry information out of my children. I looked away from her and paid attention instead to the dishes I was washing, hoping my indifference might lure her out.

It took some work, but I eventually got enough bits and pieces to put the puzzle together - or at least enough to get an idea of the picture. Which is not (as was my first reaction) an indictment of TLGATS' father, or even a commendation of the shining qualities of the Daddy Over Here.

It turns out we have two children who are highly skilled braggarts.

Not that This Daddy isn't just chock full of sterling qualities. The kids and I are all equally convinced he is the Best Thing Going. That's how this all got started, in fact. They were explaining to TLGATS just how hysterically funny their father is. He teases them all the time, plays silly games of pretend at the dinner table, and is amenable to tickling little girls if asked nicely.*

Evidently TLGATS father is not so humorously inclined. From what I've seen of him, he seems to be a very nice guy, responsible, careful for his daughter's well-being, and doing everything he can to make a good life for her. Just not inclined to rampaging silliness, evidently.

I predict there will be a switch in perspective in a few years. Silliness might seem highly desirable when your age is measured in single digits, but I think TLGATS won't be quite so envious during their teen years when OGC and Youngest Girl Child will have to endure their father telling their dates long stories about all the deadly skills he learned in his military years, while pointedly disassembling and cleaning a gun.

On the other hand, I expect to find the reactions of the young men involved quite hilarious.
___________________________________________

*I asked YGC what she liked best about her father. She smiled and said, "Just him," then went back to dancing around the living room in a pink lace dress up outfit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen...I hope I get to come meet your family one of these days!!! I just love that..."What do you love about your father?" "Just him!"
Also...it would be fantastic to see you and your fabric! If we had to move back to the States (and if we could move anywhere) I was trying to persuade Clivey to move to West Virginia...in between family history research and other outlandish activities I could come visit you...when they let me out for good behaviour!

Do you ever feel like you're in a novel? Something akin to Alice in Wonderland only more funny and adventerous? I hope so...it sounds that way to me (ps I can't remember if you hate Alice in Wonderland, but I always loved it...so this would be a good thing in my mind). I'm glad you're all feeling better...I've been checking to see if you had a new blog every day...it was worth waiting for!

Jennifer said...

Never fear - I love Alice in Wonderland, and all of Lewis Carroll's work. It's only romances from that era that I avoid. ;)

It would be so utterly cool if you were to live anywhere near me. I would LOVE that!

Cannwin said...

No no she needs to move somewhere cheaper. I'd say near me but we're so transient right now she'd be hopping all over the country, but she can't live near you since it's amazing anyone lives where you do... much to expensive :).

YGC is adorable. What a sweet sweet answer. My kids are adamant that they have the meanest dad in the world, something to which ralexwin is only to happy to keep going.

"I'm the meanest dad in the whole world aren't I?"

"Yes."

I have an odd family.