Tails, I Win

One of the advantages of being a stay at home mom is lazy mornings snuggling with little people. Cuddled up to Mommy, they'll talk and talk, pouring out every thought that crosses their minds. I try to encourage this as much as possible; when they're teenagers I want them to be used to long conversations with me. Not that I have much hope of actual conversation during those years, but I figure if we've got an established habit to work with I might have some faint possibility of getting more than eye-rolls out of them.

Hey, at least I've got a plan. Meanwhile I enjoy the fruits of my machinations.

From morning conversation with Youngest Girl Child:

"Mommy, you sing the alphabet and then I'll sing the alphabet."

We did that, with YGC's version ending, "... Q R X, T U V, W X, Y AND Z ..."

As she explained to me, "It sounds better with two Xs."

Later she asked, "Mommy, why do buffalopes not have any tails?"

Trying to recall if buffaloes had tails, I replied, "I don't know, sweetie. Heavenly Father just made them that way, I guess."

She thought for a moment, then said, "I've never seen a buffalope, so I don't know if they have tails or not."

Yep. That makes a difference.

0 comments: