Do You Know This Woman?


Because we don't. All we know is that she is some sort of relative and/or ancestor from my husband's mother's side of the family.

I don't even know enough about history to date this photo. If I knew more about hair and clothing styles I could guesstimate a year or decade, and then we could look through our genealogy and figure out who she might be.

So. Any clever types out there who can look at that and say, "Oh, yes, that's 1910!" or "Definitely 1860." Because I'd dearly, dearly love to get some kind of idea about who she might be.

Beautiful, isn't she?

UPDATE: A friend wrote me to say that in her fashion-history-expert experience, this woman's dress and hairstyle are from the early 1900's probably 1900 - 1910. Evidently that particular hairstyle is called a Gibson Girl. Here's a how-to, if you want to try the style for yourself.

Thank you, Cari!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see her on the web. There's a strange detachment when it's electrons instead of the actual picture. You're right, there is a haunting beauty there. Sometimes good looks skips a generation. I'm glad it skipped me and got concentrated in the three wee ones [wink]. I hope she's one of the ancesters that we've already found.

DH