Grab the book closest to you, right now.

I ran across this, here, and though it was a great idea.

Open the nearest book to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence on that page, and also the next two to five sentences. The closest book, not your favorite or the most intellectual.

Little sister, I'm tagging you!

All the children sat looking at Pippi, who lay flat on the floor, drawing to her heart's content.

"But, Pippi," said the teacher impatiently, "why in the world aren't you drawing on your paper?"

"I filled that long ago. There isn't room enough for my whole horse on that little snip of a paper," said Pippi. "Just now I'm working on his front legs, but when I get to his tail I guess I'll have to go out in the hall."

From Pippi Longstocking, by Astrid Lindgren. Left on the desk by the computer last Monday when I got home from reading to Oldest Girl Child's class. It's just as well, I suppose. It doesn't have quite the cool factor of Glory Road, but it's infinitely better than the Illustrated Young Reader's Dictionary, which also needs to be put away.

Ooh, ooh!! Guess what?! We returned the Scholastic books order form yesterday, and there were books for me in the order! Woohoo! Specifically the Chronicles of Narnia box set, which I have wanted for lo, these many years, and never been able to justify the expense. But this was pretty cheap - compared to what it normally is - so I splurged and treated myself.

Besides it helps out the teacher, so that's a good thing. Right? Of course it is! I'm doing a service to the community by buying more books - helping the school, helping the kids, helping the publishing industry. I'm not an out of control book fiend. I'm patriotic!

3 comments:

Cannwin said...

I'm on it!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jen Jen, this is SO weird!
I haven't told you yet, but I found an online print on demand company. I had a copy of The Hired Wife printed up to see what it would look like and I've been editing it. It is the closest book to hand and I'm on page 56! My cover art needs some work, but the book is really good quality. I'm hoping to have all my books ready to offer in paperback in the New Year! I find that very exciting. But then I would.

5th sentence on the page...

Morley firmly grasped her hand and forcefully led her in the opposite direction she wished to go. "Poor Marshall has finally found a bit of luck. If I'd placed an ad for a wife, I'd have unearthed a mountain of trolls."

"Lord Raynham didn't advertise for a wife, he merely listed general requirements for an assistant. He only proposed after he felt I could fulfill his needs."

"Modesty becomes you my dear. Marshall must be relieved to have found someone to fulfill his needs."

Jennifer said...

Cari! How cool it would be to have your books available as printed copies!! I can't wait. :)