Well that's torn it. There's no going back now.

The Big Step. Point of No Return. We are there. We took that step this week.

Of course, I suppose it's been a point of no return ever since Youngest Girl Child was born. After all, it's not like I ever had the power to turn back the clock and make her even one day younger.

This just seems so much more final, though. Not that I'm weepy or anything, but then I wasn't when Oldest Girl Child had her Big Day. I expect that will happen in a few months when I put her on the bus, turn around to go home, and burst into tears.

This week YGC registered for kindergarten.

It was a great experience. We ran into several people we know. Mostly adults, but one of her friends was there at the same time we were. They checked her hearing, listened to her talk (she lisps a little they told me. Really? 'Cause, y'know, I had no clue, never having actually listened to my child talking before.) (I know, I know - nice people, they mean well. But - really? You really think I might not have picked up on my daughter saying "wain" instead of "rain"? "The wet wain watewed the wocky gawden." I noticed. Trust me.)

The thing I liked best was the attention the volunteers and school staff paid to her. I'm used to adults dealing with me and ignoring the kids, even when we're talking about the kids. Their pediatrician asks me what their symptoms are. Their dentist tells me that YGC has a cavity and needs a filling* after sending her off to get a toy. Etc.

Nothing wrong with that. After all, we're dealing with very small people who are still developing their communication skills, and I know them probably better than anyone. I also make the important decisions. Talking to me instead of them is entirely reasonable.

But at kindergarten registration the emphasis was on her. As we moved from station to station, she was greeted warmly, with direct eye contact. Her name was used. Her hand was shaken. It was Her Day.

She loved it.

I don't know if it's had an impact on her attitude toward starting school. She tends to keep her feelings inside herself and think about them for awhile before popping up with (sometimes very) odd little statements, but she did come out of there relaxed and comfortable, wanting to stay and play, in fact. It was good.

So. Next fall. Bus / school / weepy mommy? / growing up.
___________________________________________

*Long, long story. Short version - dictionary / cavity-prone / my child's picture. Our retirement - never gonna happen / the dentist's retirement - Hawaii. In a very nice mansion with a great coastal view. Maybe a private beach or two.

1 comments:

Cannwin said...

cavity prone? Sounds like a member of our family for sure then. I remember going to the dentist as a kid and him constantly saying, "she's got 13 cavities."

Now I go into the dentist (granted it's only when I'm in serious pain ie when I'm pregnant) and them saying, 'we're gonna need to take that tooth out.'

4 pregnancies, 4 teeth gone (all wisdom) and one root canal. Nothing so far with this one... knock on wood.

Poor thing, my heart goes out to her. When she's a grown up she'll have her kids telling her that there's no way the tooth fairy would take her teeth cause their too black (my kids like to remind me of this one).

*sigh*