Yes, I was stupid back then. I was 17. It goes with the territory.

You know, I really thought I was ugly back then? What I wouldn't give now to look that again. OK - minus the acne.

Of course, this was my senior photo, the big one, the one that was going in the yearbook! So, I was wearing makeup, and had just come from the salon where I'd gotten a brand-new cut and perm. (And, considering it was the 80s, I'm surprised it looks that good now. What? No BTS?* What was I thinking, looking so sedate?)

Most of the time I went around with my hair looking, well, odd. I never, ever wore makeup.** I had no judgment at all in picking out my clothes and probably looked a mess most of the time.

Unfortunately, a lot of that is still true. I hate wearing makeup, even though I've hit an age where I really can't get away without it anymore. I always forget to put it on in the morning, and it annoys me that I have to keep refreshing it throughout the day. Who has time?

Clothes are still my bane. I desperately need a clothing makeover, with serious advice on how not to look like a bag of rags that's been dragged through a blackberry bush.

But here's the difference between me-then and me-now: putting on makeup and getting my hair done isn't going to make me-now look a fraction as good as that 17 year old girl did.

And I thought I was fat and ugly.

Now, as mother-me, I wonder - how can I keep my beautiful little girls from looking in the mirror and seeing ugly? Right now they see beauty as mostly being in your clothes. Beautiful dress-up clothes makes you beautiful. Oldest Girl Child will come in, dressed in some outrageous combination of tutus, pajama bottoms and winter scarves and say to me, "Mommy, am I beeeauuutiful?" She preens, twisting from side to side as she poses, a pleased smile on my face, knowing that I'll tell her, "Yes, you're very beautiful," because of course, she's beautiful! She has on beautiful clothes!

Youngest Girl Child will dash into the living room, "Mommy, look at my dance!" and then she'll start humming or singing and break into a long, dramatic "ballet" routine, full of posing and leaping. She asks, "Mommy, am I beautiful?" and hardly listens for the answer, so sure of the answer. Of course, she's beautiful. She's wearing a pretty tutu!

Someday, one of them is going to look in the mirror and be the first to say, "Mommy, am I beautiful?" and she'll be talking about her face, her figure, her hair, everything but her clothes. "Am I fat?" she'll ask me. "Do these pants make my rear look big?"

And that? Will be what you call a bad day.
___________________________________________

*Bangs To the Sky

**Too shy. Color on my face made me feel conspicuous like people might look at me. Like boys! Which I both fervently longed for, and was scared to death of having happen.

1 comments:

Cari Hislop said...

You are a beautiful woman even if you need to brush your hair or apply some lipstick (join the club!). You're also smart and talented, kind, good (the list goes on)... You were beautiful back then too. I remember in '91 how you thought you weren't beautiful and I thought that was rubbish! You're a thousand times better looking than me and I like my face!

I'm still working on my wardrobe problems, but I'm doing better. I have almost nothing that isn't in my colour palette and that helps...though I do have one black skirt (had to make it for choir which I resented and have since chopped it into a short skirt and given up choir). I have a few Autumn coloured items but my clothes are mostly Spring now which is good because I look healthier more attractive in Spring colours. Remember you're an Autumn...you look really stunning in browns, golds, turquoise and any colour with brown in it. Rusty colours and LOTS of greens...and my favorite colour of the moment...orange...though mine is a Spring orange so my favorite colour is like orange sherbet!!!! You could wear it too if you wanted. I was really into red this last year, but that's passing (now that I own three pairs of red tights two of which I haven't yet worn). Now I want orange tights! I'll have to look on the internet.

I promise I'll never buy another pair of mustard yellow...mustard yellow would be your colour though I did love those tights. I wore them for years. What they were made of...industrial polyester?
Lovely! :)

Of course your girls are individuals and who knows what they may feel about themselves, but whatever they choose to believe they'll have had a very good grounding in reality from their parents...that they are beautiful!