A Bookworm Is Born

When I was a kid I was notorious for constantly having a book in my hand. (I still do, it's just not as obvious that it's a book, since I keep my books on my PDA now.) I walked home from school, reading all the way. I walked around the house, reading. I even read while I was supposedly listening to my teachers in junior high school, hiding the book under the desk, on my lap (until I got caught by an irate science teacher.)

This morning, Oldest Girl Child was walking around, re-reading her latest library book, Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime. Every time I turned around, there she was, reading instead of getting ready for school. We had to pry her away from the book in order to do morning scripture study and afterward, when her father was trying to get her attention so that he could ask her to give the family prayer, she replied, "I know, I know, I'm just reading a little bit."

She left the house for the bus stop, nose buried in her book. I couldn't be more proud. That's my girl!

1 comments:

Wendi said...

I love this story. I was the same way when I was a kid, and my 8 year-old Sam is like that now, too.

And I think Junie B. is hilarious.